The MMLFC shielded room was designed to meet the need of a modern palaeomagnetic research laboratory that requires measurement and demagnetization to be carried out in a near zero field environment to avoid magnetic viscosity effects. A precision version using calibrated power supplies (MMPLFC) can be supplied for magnetometer calibration.
- The MMLFC consists of 15 square coils, 5 in each of 3 directions ( Reubens coil system, see olivares_paper.pdf (comsol.com) for a comparison of Reubens, Merritt and Helmholtz coil systems) all automatically controlled by a 3 axis fluxgate magnetometer. The MMLFC will cancel the earths field and 50/60Hz mains generated magnetic fields. We can supply any size up to 2.5m x 2.5m x 2.5m which gives a very large working volume (click to see graph) for a magnetometer and demagnetizers.
- The MMLFC provides a cost effective and low magnetic field environment without creating the stuffy and enclosed environment of a mu-metal room. The MMLFC is spacious and open and there is no need for any additional ventilation systems. The coils are counterbalanced and can be opened (click to see picture) for easy access.
- The MMLFC is effective even in a steel framed building with steel panels.
- The MMLFC can be installed and operating within 5 days and can easily be disassembled and moved to a new location at a future date.
- SAFETY, working inside the MMLFC you are aware of what is going on around you because, unlike a steel room, you can see and communicate with people around you.
- When working with cryogenic fluids such as liquid helium it is important to have very good ventilation in case there is a vacuum failure and the liquid is suddenly converted into a very large volume of cold gas. In the MMLFC shielded room gas can escape freely.
- 3 year parts and labour warranty.
2.5m MMLFC installed in the Geomagnetism Laboratory, University of Liverpool, U.K.